What should I do when Digital Signatures Display a Question Mark or "Validity Unknown" or "Signature not Verified!" message in a signed PDF
While opening a PDF file containing a Digital Signature that was created from a self-signed certificate and this is the first time you are signing using the emSigner application or you are using a different system, the Digital Signature may display a "Validity Unknown" or "Signature not verified!" message in the PDF.
Note: Digital Signatures created from a self-signed certificate in Adobe Acrobat display a question mark.
This occurs when Digital Certificates and Digital Signatures associated with the PDF file have not yet been verified on the system.
Please follow the below steps to verify that the Digital Certificates and Digital Signatures are from trusted sources:
1. Open the PDF file in the PDF reader
2. Left-click on the Digital Signature field
3. Click "Verify Signature"
4. Click "Properties"
5. Click "Verify Identity"
6. Add "Contact information for certificate owner:"
7. Click "Add to List"
8. Click "Close"
9. Click "Verify Signature"
10. The "Validity Status" will now show "Signature is valid"
11. Click "Close"
12. Digital Signature will now display a check mark and state "Signature Valid"